Tostadas & Mango Salsa
Ingredients (serves 8)
•1 package of tostadas
•1 12 oz. can of black beans or 2 cups cooked
•sour cream (optional)
•finely chopped cilantro for garnish
For the mango salsa:
•2 lbs. fresh tomatoes diced
•2 cups mango diced
•¼-½ cup lime juice
•1 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
•1 Tablespoon cumin
•1 teaspoon salt
1) Prepare salsa by mixing the tomatoes, mango, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and salt (best prepared several hours before then chilled in the refrigerator)
2) Reheat black beans with some spices to taste (cumin, bay leaf, oregano, etc.)
3) Blend black beans (add water and a bit of oil if necessary)
4) Shred lettuce into long strips
5) Lay out tostadas, black beans, lettuce, mango salsa, and sour cream in that order
6) Stack your tostadas to unimaginable heights!
Ingredients (serves 6)
•1 cup chopped parsley
•½ cup fresh cilantro
•3 large mild fresh green chilies or 3 jalapenos
•3 cups water
•1 ½ teaspoons salt
•2 teaspoons olive oil
•2 teaspoons cumin seeds
•3 bay leaves
•1 ½ cups long-grain white rice
•¼ teaspoon black pepper
1) Roast chilies over a gas flame on the stove until browned. Transfer to a bag until cooled. Remove seeds and cut into strips.
2) Finely chop parsley and cilantro.
3) Heat oil in a saucepan over moderate heat. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves and toast for 3 minutes. Add rice and fry for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
4) Pour water in with the rice and bring to a rolling boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
5) Cook rice for 15-20 minutes until the grains are soft, dry, and tender.
6) Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Garnish with remaining herbs and chilies.