Got community service hours or looking for a meaningful volunteer opportunity? As a non-for-profit organization, Krishna Lunch exists because of generous people like you who support Krishna Lunch in so many ways. We are always looking for eager souls who are interested in helping serve, taking pictures, making documentaries, etc. For more information, please talk to Hanan at the front of the Krishna Lunch line or email us.
Serving Krishna Lunch
Welcome new volunteers! Thank you for assisting with the Krishna Lunch program. As a server, you will have the opportunity to meet many new people and have a great time while helping your community. For those of you that will be helping as lunch servers we have the following guidelines.
• Be punctual. Please come at least 5 minutes before you are supposed to start serving (the lunch runs 11:30-1:30). This is so that you can find out what you are going to serve and how to serve it before you start. This is a great time to ask us any questions you might have about your service.
• Know what you’re serving. You will be asked many times about what is in the food; especially know if your food item is vegan (dairy free) or non-vegan (with diary). Many people cannot eat products with milk, cheese, etc so it is very important to be able to identify these foods for them. Also be aware that all the food served contains no meat, eggs, or fish products because Krishnas are vegetarian.
• Smile and say hello. It makes our lunch goers feel welcome and it makes your job much more enjoyable
• Cleanliness. Cleanliness is VERY important. For this reason we have the following requirements for all servers:
a) Wash your hands before starting
b) Wear gloves while serving (at least on serving hand)
c) Avoid contact of gloves or instruments with plates of people who come for seconds.
• Do not eat or drink at the table. We are happy to give you a break, just ask at the front of the line, and make sure your position is covered.
• There is a rhythm to serving. As the line grows longer and longer, servers need to quicken their pace of serving. This will become more natural as you become more used to serving, and more efficient in your position.
• Feel free to ask questions about anything. We want you to feel welcome and comfortable every time you come to volunteer
• Have fun! Serving is a wonderful way to have fun and help your community at the same time.